Re: talent show

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eve on July 02, 2001 at 06:58:26:

In Reply to: talent show posted by Graham Keith on July 01, 2001 at 21:10:09:

I reckon the way to approach this sort of "gig" is with humour, visual impact, and familiarity (i.e. for the third point, whatever you play should be well-known... which doesn't mean it can't be showy or impressive).

One approach may be to adopt a "theme" to hang the act around.

1) For example: You could pander good-humouredly to the stereotype of a tubist. Say, wear lederhosen, play a showy melody (or even variations on), something like "Little Brown Jug" or other well-known Beer Hall type tune (melody = interesting listening, even unaccompanied, and proves there's more than just "oom-pah"). You could find trumpet/clarinet music and transpose it, if neccessary, to get some of these melodies. If you are unaccompanied and can read treble clef, no transposing required!

If possible, you could dance around as you play, show off those legs/steps. Even if you were sitting, there's plenty you could doo with your legs/feet.

Perhaps you could start by having something concealed down your bell, try to play (hammed-up badly) with dismayed puzzled look, then remove the obstruction... maybe a bottle of beer, I dunno. :-) Any part of the act that may involve "mock" bad playing has to be over v. quickly, lest they "gong" you (if it's that sort of show) thinking that it's boring, and that is how you really play.

2) Sporting/footy team theme song, dressed in team colours, with a football down your bell needing removing.

3) A couple of the best known melodies from Swan Lake dressed in a tutu + with some "choreography".

4) Pop tune (something recognizable when not sung) dressed as the artist... e.g., I dunno, Michael Jackson... someone who it's relatively easy to get "the look" with a few well-chosen props.

I think it is possible to do something wacky and surprising, without demeaning (or physically damaging) your instrument!!

You don't even have to do a great deal of actual playing... half of the act can be the set-up/preparation to play... and people will be kept interested partially by the "tease" of waiting to see if you actually can play the darn thing... if you want to structure it that way.

Just off the top of my head...she said, with ideas and beers flowing!!

Hope this helps!

Eve "who plays sousa is a vaudeville-influenced band which includes juggling, magic and fire-eating" Flatt.

Follow Ups: