FS: Yamaha 5V Eb YEB-381

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on July 04, 2001 at 01:20:57:

BBS folks,

I've got some spare time this month to worry with learning about being a seller on
ebay, and to deal with shipping issues. So, I'm re-advertising the availability of
my YEB-381 Eb. I will be listing this horn soon on ebay, with a starting price of
$2500, no reserve. Buyer pays actual shipping expenses.

If you contact me prior to my ebay listing, the horn is yours for $2500 plus shipping.

The horn is in very good condition, with a few small dents/dings. It has a good core to the sound, and I believe it actually projects better than my Besson 983 Eb. I've discovered that for my needs, a one-key-tuba approach (Eb only) isn't working well, and I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and buy an F and a contrabass (probably a BBb), (meaning the Besson 983 will likely be going on the market in a few month's time as well).

For now, the back-up Eb is for sale:

YEB-381, 4 top action pistions, one rotary valve
Bell diameter is 14 3/8"
Bore is .689.
Lacquer finish
Includes Yamaha hard case and a Dennis Wick 2L mpc.

The 5th valve is located within the 4th valve tuning slide, acting like a 1/2 step trigger for low register intonation. I activate the 5th valve (played with the
left hand thumb from the normal left hand position as it holds the horn) at the low G, and below, and then finger the right hand with the "ideal" note fingerings, assuming there was no error in this low range area.

My impressions for comparison purposes are that the Yamaha has a *very* open low register compared to the compensating Besson. I'm unaware of any playing modifications needed to get the low register notes to speak. The harder you blow, the more volume you get, unlike a compensating Eb which requires some care in the compensating low register. The instrument's notes have more core than the Besson 983, which I describe as having a broader sound. The Besson 983 notes above middle C are more secure than the Yamaha Eb, however, which doesn't slot as well in the range above middle C -- a little more care is required in this range. The Yamaha is *very* easily transported due to its modest size. However, the horn's design allows it to have a definite 4/4 Eb sound, probably surpassing the 983 for overall output capability.

For numerous pictures and information about overall intonation (slightly sharp, corrected with a single sousy tuning bit), please see:

http://members.iquest.net/~sjcdk/instruments.html

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: