Re: Private Lessons Instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 05, 2001 at 18:16:05:

In Reply to: Private Lessons Instructor posted by Tracy H on July 05, 2001 at 17:35:17:

Check and see if Rick Colvin is still around. I haven't heard anything about him in a number of years, but he is a fine teacher with players such as Sumner Ericson in his resume. He was not afiliated with UT or the Austin schools, so you'll have to search him out, assuming he's still around.

It is summertime, and the university profs may be on break.

If you are really serious and committed, and can't arrange something with Mr. Colvin or the professors you mentioned, then you might consider San Antonio. Lee Hipp plays with the Symphony there, and is a fine player and excellent teacher. He's in North Carolina for the next few weeks, but will be back in San Antonio after that. There are other potential teachers in San Antonio and between San Antonio and Austin, but I hesitate to announce their names publicly. Email me if you don't turn up any results.

Steve Bryant may also have a solid student of his own who can teach you, so don't give up trying to reach him.

Too bad Jay Rozen doesn't live in Austin anymore. He'd be a great choice for someone in your situation.

I haven't lived in central or south Texas for a while now, and I'm probably completely out of date. But tuba teachers are found where there are tuba jobs, and the same folks are holding the same jobs they did when I was there, so I doubt that much has changed.

Rick "hope this helps" Denney

Follow Ups: