Re: Re: MW F Tuba FS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 06, 2001 at 06:34:07:

In Reply to: Re: MW F Tuba FS posted by Jim Andrada on July 05, 2001 at 23:51:18:

One explanation might be, that the main producer of German F’s (that is speaking in quantities), B&S, put their 5th valve for left hand operation. Making slide manipulations difficult if not impossible.

To work around that problem they fitted the top model with a 6th valve, also operated with the left hand. Alone from the added number of mathematically available fingering options, your chances for a precise fingering, intonationwise, increased.

Furthermore some players might have enjoyed to have fingrings, that had dedicated chromatical valvetubings down to low A. From where the "fun" starts on a 6 valve instrument.

To improve the 5 valve model in a simpler/cheaper way, B&S moved the operation of the 5th valve to the right thumb. Allowing for a left hand operated trigger on the 2nd valve slide.

I have for years considered one of these 5 or 6 valve instruments in F. Even the 6 valve Eb rotary from Meinl (?). But I did not like the valves and tubing intended for low range playing being placed in the leadpipe. Having a smaller bore than the 4th valve of which these 5th and 6th valves could be considered extensions.

(And I am quite happy with my present US/Brit tuba outfit).

Klaus

Follow Ups: