Re: Ohio Tuba Teachers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on July 07, 2001 at 21:44:15:

In Reply to: Ohio Tuba Teachers posted by Ryan PA on July 07, 2001 at 18:30:50:

Just a bit of a warning...college marching bands and music performance majors very often do not mix. Keep in mind that your average day will consist of 4 hours or so of classes, and then a 3 hour marching band rehearsal. The classes probably will have homework on a nightly basis (Freshman level classes like History 101 or Biology 101 have you reading until your eyes fall out). Add to this time for meals, walking to classes (you need time at the big universities) and the fact that you have to plan your practice sessions around the fact that you will have your chops on the horn for 3 hours each day (playing very loud) and any other ensembles that you may be in...this does not leave much to work with in the practice room. Friday nights are gone for pep rallies and Saturdays are completely shot with game-day activities, so that leaves Sundays as your day off. If you want any kind of a social life (outside of the marching band) then your practice time becomes limited.

What usually happens is that the typical marching band member does not practice AT ALL during the fall semester and spends the spring semester playing "catch-up." Now, this may or may not be what it is like at all schools (I am talking about a major Big-Ten school), but I am sure that it is very similar. With that said, keep in mind that this is what is like on paper. If you really want to practice, you will end up skipping all of your non-music classes to sleep and practice, end up staying in school for 6 years to finish your bachelor's and graduate with a lower GPA. It's not so bad, you get very comfortable in school.

Trust me, I am a fan of marching bands, but it is very difficult to juggle that and be a serious performance major. It can be done though, I'm sure. Good luck to you!

Follow Ups: