Re: Re: Re: Orchestra Policies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 08, 2001 at 09:57:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Orchestra Policies posted by Eric on July 08, 2001 at 08:51:49:

I think so. If I have heard correctly, when Matt Good took the job in Dallas, they hired James Jenkins for 1 year. James played so well that when Matt notified Jax that he wasn't coming back (it is typical for a tubist moving from one orchestra to another to take a 1 year leave of absense rather than resign from his current job so that if things don't work out at the new job, he can come back to where he's already tenured) the music director and audition committee decided to hire James permanently. I think I would call this a local audition because James was brought in from outside the local, joined the local and worked 1 year with the orchestra, then was offered the job. I can't make that determination definitively because I wasn't privy to the specific details of this situation, nor am I aware of what tubists are working in that particular union local and would have actively pursued the position. But that would be my guess. As I understand the process, the only way a tubist could win an "in-house" audition would be if the orchestra employed more than one full time tubist (who then auditioned for and won the principal spot) or if the orchestra had a regular substitute/second player who won the audition for the principal spot. Neither of these was the case in Jax because, as I understand it, James was working in Naples prior to taking the 1 year position in Jax. I can see how you could make the case that this situation is an "in-house" audition but I have a different concept of that type of audition than what happened in Jax, assuming I even have my "facts" straight. In any event, the situation worked out great because James is a marvelous player and Jacksonville is a really good orchestra that needed someone of quality to replace Matt.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: