Re: Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on July 08, 2001 at 20:10:23:

In Reply to: Re: Difference between Euphonium & Baritone posted by Klaus on July 08, 2001 at 16:16:49:

>The Brits are geeks, so they of course took inspiration from the Greeks (The Brits spell about as well as I do), so they called their instrument covering the baritone range a euphonium. Literally a tool for radiating beautiful sounds (so please go home and
practise).

Okay, I'm nit-picking, but "euphonium" literally means "well-sounding" (eu=good or well, phonos=sound or voice).

There is no real difference between the two. I personally call all large bore instruments of this size euphoniums and all British style baritones just "baritones", and let what I call everything in-between be determined by the person I'm talking to. It does about as much good convincing someone with a YEP-201 that what they play is not a baritone horn as telling someone with a Willson 2900 that what they play IS a baritone horn, that is it does no good at all. Below is a link to a post that should show you just how murky the difference between these two terms are.

Scott

Follow Ups: