Re: Re: Re: What's yours?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Callmeapple on July 10, 2001 at 03:11:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What's yours? posted by jon schultz on July 09, 2001 at 09:39:50:

Ghost and the Darkness is a Kick Butt Soundtrack. It' also the only soundtrack that I've been able to catch Goldsmith Cheating and plagerizing himself (James Horner's specialty) He took the scene from Star Trek:Motion Picture when the Enterprise was entering the Cloud and put it into the Lions cave. I thought it fit the mood quite well and at least he plagerized tastefully, unlike some composer(S).
Let's take Horner. A simple battle sequence starts in Glory. Trombone chords and then a fast string line and so forth (you'll know what I'm talkin' about in a sec). That sequence then becomes approx 90% of the soundtrack to Courage Under Fire. Is that where it ends? No way. Next, we have the Iceberg scene from Titanic, and many times it is repeated during the sinking. Now are we done?? Nope, cause the soundtrack to The Perfect storm contains several displays of this sequence in condensed form (usually just the trombone whirledoos). And then he went and got his runkus-bunkus sued off for taking
El Sid (I think was the title)and claiming that it was his origional soundtrack to
The Mask of Zorro.
I guess I'd better git off the Horner bashing and get some favorites in.
My favorites are definately

James Newton Howard:
Dave
Major League

James Horner:
The Rocketeer (This was Horner in his Prime)

"Jerry Goldsmith:
RUDY
FIRST CONTACT
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
The Ghost and the Darkness
Air Force One
The Edge
(Pretty Much Anything Goldsmith)

John Williams:
SUPERMAN
Saving Private Ryan
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Olympic Fanfare (Not an actual soundtrack but written like one)
Jurassic Park ( Lost World just didn't have the same great effect and now someone else is gonna use his themes and butcher the third)

Alan Silvestri:
Contact
What Lies Beneath

Marco Beltrami:
Scream 3 (Basically the whole trilogy had the same track, but the third one was just fit into the film better than the first 2)
The Watcher.

Bruce Broughton (I relly hope I didn't mispell that):
THE BOY WHO COULD FLY (You hardly have to listen to hear one of James Horner's Main themes to Titanic) I know I beat up on him a lot, but he's the youngest of the big 3[Goldsmith\horner\Williams] and he's already burned out so bad, he hasn't written a COMPLETELY origonal soundtrack ever since Glory with the exception of Enemy At The Gates. But he was trapped in that film. He had to write Russian. He couldn't write Horner or he would have commited professional suicide (for the second time).
His Tuba Sonata (Concerto) is one of my favorite Tuba Solos

Well, I think I'll stop boring you to death now.
Have fun

Toodles

Follow Ups: