Re: Switching Back and forth from BBb to CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric F on July 10, 2001 at 13:03:21:

In Reply to: Switching Back and forth from BBb to CC posted by Young Smith on July 10, 2001 at 12:21:01:

I used to worry about the same thing. I purchased a CC concert tuba not too long before I was to go into college. Once I got it, I really dove into learning the new fingerings. However, once I got into college, I had to switch between the two on a regular basis. I was doing concert band and private lessons on my CC, at the same time doing marching band four days a week in the fall and pep band almost year round on a BBb sousaphone. It might be wierd at first...I had trouble sight-reading some tunes on the sousaphone if the key signature had alot of flats or sharps, and with the CC my brain kept wanting me to use the BBb fingerings if I was playing something with alot of notes in it, because BBb was what I was most familiar with. PRACTICE is the key word, which I am sure you already know. Eeveryone has their own opinion, of course, but I only practiced my CC tuba in college, because I was alot more concerned about playing that well than I was the sousaphone. There is so much to learn if you are just starting the CC tuba, and it should get as much attention as possible. BBb fingerings are something that I will always be able to remember, no matter how much I ignore them.

Follow Ups: