Re: Jazz tuba and valves too

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on July 10, 2001 at 16:41:39:

In Reply to: Jazz tuba and valves too posted by Nick Clark on July 09, 2001 at 23:42:40:

I haven't read any of the posts yet but here are some jazz artists that might've not been mentioned that SHOULD for you to start listening to:

Clifford Brown - i don't know the exact way of defining it, but it's just pure jazz and he is AWSOME. He's my most favorite trumpet player. Lee Morgan plays a similar style jazz in his songs. But Brownie was classically trained and is a natural at both classical and jazz. When he played "Carnival of Venice", he didn't just play it, he PLAYED it!

John Coltrane - another must. Tenor sax guy that played the most melodic lines twice as fast. Like Art Tatum, piano player, except 4 times fast.

Louis Armstrong - I'm sure you know him. He sang "What a Wonderful World". He has that perfect tone for dixie-jazz and it's great!

Those are just a few. But as for tuba in the 90's, there's a group called "The Dirty Dozen" and their sousaphone player's amazing! Just get it.

And for bass guitar, have you heard of Victor Wooten? If you have, some people might say, "Man, he's just technical" But no man, he's the most melodic bass guitar player I've ever heard. The best licks too in both solo and bass lines. To hear this, I would recommend "LIVE ART" album. After that, their "UFO TOFU" album. Oh yeah, it's a group called "Bela Fleck and the Flecktones."

Peacu
Winton

Follow Ups: