Re: Re: Re: Yet another change to The Tuba Sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on July 11, 2001 at 19:42:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Yet another change to The Tuba Sound posted by Rick Denney on July 11, 2001 at 19:31:41:

The question occurred to me because I was again reading Mr. Helmholtz and he mentioned that the string bass has the richest harmonic content of all strings, far surpassing the violin. Probably because, more than the viola, the bass is not constructed "to scale" (if it were, it'd be about 12 feet tall).

Which got my wondering if a really small euphonium-sized bore contrabass tuba with a large bell and bow (i.e. not to "scale") might have the richest harmonic content of all. Certainly my YorkConnstein with its 0.651 bore and York Monster bell has a very warm sound. Probably why folks like the sound of the King 2341.

HH also makes another comment that instruments with heavy overtone content do an inferior job of playing softly. He suggests that quiet passages be given to flutes or clarinets rather than violins. I don't know if I agree there, but it's an interesting tidbit that would imply that the tuba is well-suited to playing pp.

Follow Ups: