Re: Re: Re: Which horn??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 13, 2001 at 08:25:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Which horn?? posted by Ace on July 12, 2001 at 16:10:31:

Yes, I do have one of the smaller Cerveny Eb tubas. It is a model 641 that I had some modifications done to (added 5th valve, valve and linkage work, etc.). The horn sounds and responds to me exactly like the typical rotary valve F tuba, the so called Germanic F tuba. By that, I mean it has a really singing high range, and some problem notes in the low range (Db and C just below the staff). I bought the horn as an experiment to see if I could branch out my available number of sounds and it really is a success in that regard. But my playing circumstances are such that I have used the horn in the orchestra only a few times. I don't do much solo playing, which this horn is really well suited for, so it hasn't gotten much use generally. For my tastes it is a little too small for brass quintet but I suppose that would depend on the group. I did an Easter gig with it this year and it worked great playing 2nd trombone parts in a quartet setting. For me, the 641 is an opportunity to play a stereotypical F tuba without having to swtich to F tuba fingerings. That in itself saves me lots of time and aggravation. I just bought some French saxhorn solos on eBay and I've been tinkering with those on the 641. They seem to lay really nicely. We shall see.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: