Re: Sound Production

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James on July 13, 2001 at 16:52:58:

In Reply to: Sound Production posted by Angela on July 13, 2001 at 16:09:37:

Angela,
I completely understand where you are coming from. I had the same problem (still do however I have discovered some routines to help me out and who knows, they could work for you. I don't know if you practice breathing exercises regularly, but if you don't, you should! The breath is the very beginnings of the sound journey. Without a big sustained deep breath, tone has no where to start. (Breathing devices with aid in teaching this are to be considered) According to Harvey Phillips in his The Art of Tuba Euphonium Playing (A MUST have book on every low brass musician's book shelf) Tone is 90 percent breath, and 10 percent embourchure, and other technical aspects of playing. With the proper breath support and control, your sound should open up and as a result be louder. Also when you think of playing "loud" do NOT think of as loud as humanly possible. Instead think as Sam Pilafian, and Dr Ted Cox, and Dr. Brian Bowman, a big full beautiful sound. If all this is in check, you may want to check out a deeper cuped mouthpiece but this should be your last resorts.

Hope all goes well in your endeavors!

Follow Ups: