Re: Sound Production

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on July 13, 2001 at 16:56:47:

In Reply to: Sound Production posted by Angela on July 13, 2001 at 16:09:37:

AIR! The foundation of everything... I had and still have the same problem, however, here are a couple of things that have helped me improve...

This is a trick my teacher (and others) taught me: First off, are you familiar with the Arnold Jacobs tone exercise? If not, it works like this; the pattern is played in eighth notes, with a whole note at the top and bottom. Ascending the pattern (using scale degree numbers) would be: 1-2-1-7-1-3-5-7-1(whole note), descending: 1(upper octave)-2-1-7-1-6-5-3-1(whole note.) That might be confusing, so in other words, in B-flat major the notes would be: Bb-C-Bb-A-Bb-D-F-A-Bb---Bb-C-Bb-A-Bb-G-F-D-Bb---
Using this pattern, focus on your air usage. One way to do this is by using a sound level meter you can get at Radio Shack. They're fairly inexpensive, but if you don't want to spend the money on it, just use the exercise to try to increase your sound.
Another thing that helps is by using the breathing exercises discussed often on this BBS. Exercise helps as well, any sports like running, even swimming, all help your lungs get used to using air at the volume necessary to produce a big sound.
Feel free to email if you have any questions or want more info... good luck!

Follow Ups: