Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on July 15, 2001 at 18:55:00:

In Reply to: Should I use CC for Band? posted by James McNeil on July 15, 2001 at 13:42:23:

Lots of good thoughts have already been presented in this thread. It's not completely clear what your fears are but I'm in the mood to pontificate so I'll try to cover as many bases as possible.

Intonation:
This is a non issue if you are even moderately aware(have a pulse). I've played in a six member community band tuba section with players of varying abilities, styles of instruments, and keys of tubas all represented. There were no intonation problems.

Switching(finger confusion):
This isn't a big deal. Many band directors were/are trumpet players and have absolutely no understanding of what we mean when we say that we do not transpose. BBb tubas and CC tubas are just different. It is actually a good skill(easily developed) to be able to easily switch back and forth.

Dents:
This is the only issue that would really concern me. Most public schools are dent magnets. This would bother me more than anything else. If the school is supplying an instrument for free(or a small fee) and it is of atleast moderate quality I would leave my own at home. Perhaps bring your own horn just to the concerts.

good luck!

Follow Ups: