Re: Band Composers, a Survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Friend of sousa on July 16, 2001 at 09:38:39:

In Reply to: Band Composers, a Survey posted by Brian Ridley on July 11, 2001 at 17:37:00:

I haven't read thru all of the posts, mostly cause I am tired of reading them. I go the point early on anyways. I think that a lot of people have their opinions about JPS without really knowing a lot about him and all that he has done for the world of music. Aside from the interesting things like playing the first baseball game in Europe while on tour there, and only marching his band twice in nearly 40 years, you cant dis-count what JPS really was. He was a superstar od his day. HE was more well-known than the President. He was the biggest name entertainer ever. When Sousa came to town, evrything closed. Schools, shops, stores, you name it, it closed...and you couldn't get a seat to see his concerts. They were packed. He played Wagner, Verdi, Tchaikovsky...World Class soloists(violin, vocal and intrumental)...in plaves like Norht Dakota, Back woods Pennsylvania...places you would not think a band would go. These people have never heard of Wagner, but were loving his music...because Sousa brought it to them. He inspired the band movement that has many young children wanting to learn music, making it such a popular activity. Too bad we cant keep it going. The things JPS is responsible for is astounding, if you only look into it. As for his music...his most standard form is the march. Not many composers can write a good march. its limiting. He did it well. Face it, he wrote some very good marches. I am not a huge march fan, but they make me feel good sometimes. Don't discount Sousa as important or trite, just because he left us a ton of marches. His importance is much bigger than that....making him a very significant 20th century composer and musician.
I am also going to add on my vote for the thread, as I think it has nnot been mentioned. David Maslanka. His music will only really be appreciated after he is dead, I am afraid. Well, that put him in good company, I guess.

Follow Ups: