Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 16, 2001 at 11:56:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band? posted by dp on July 16, 2001 at 11:37:34:

I am not a teacher.

I am not a professional.

I am a person with a grasp on reality.

It sounds fine to say that we shouldn't have to make compromises, but that's just not the way the world works. In many schools, the music department IS perpetually on the chopping block, and the only thing that keeps it from being scrapped is the need for half-time entertainment. So a director who (often) really doesn't care that much about marching band has to teach it, and a student who (often) really doesn't care that much about marching band has to play in it. Is that so awful? I say no. We all have to make certain compromises in life, and it seems to me that playing a little half-time oompah and 'Go big (insert color here)' is not that big of a deal.

Why not advise the kid this way: "I personally would suggest getting out of marching band if you can. But if you wind up playing in marching band, let someone else have the title of 'loudest player'. Play musically, search for the correct pitch, and don't abuse your chops. Work on a sound that is big, not blatty."

Joe "You have to choose your battles" Baker

Follow Ups: