Re: Picking a tuba w/out a visit (LONG )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 16, 2001 at 15:22:12:

In Reply to: Picking a tuba w/out a visit (LONG ) posted by Karl on July 16, 2001 at 12:02:04:

I think you are risking too much analysis. The conventional wisdom suggests that you play every tuba ever made, and choose the one you can't live without.

Unfortunately, the returning player doesn't have the chops or ears to be able to evaluate their own playing. Thus, the tuba that seems the best is likely to be the one that easiest to play. In a year or two, you may come to dislike that horn. So, while trying everything is fun, it may not lead you to the best solution.

As an alternative, I would suggest finding a used 4/4 BBb tuba in good condition, with four valves. Choose one that is a highly regarded brand, like Meinl Weston or Miraphone, and get the best deal you can. Play it for two years. Take lessons from a pro. Commit yourself to that horn. Take good care of it.

In two years, re-evaluate your situation. In that time, your chops and tone concept will have been restored, and you'll have an expert who can guide you with full knowledge of your playing abilities and style. You'll also have a horn that can be used as the baseline for future comparisons.

Then, you can choose the horn that chooses you, and sell your starter (or, re-starter) horn. You'll almost assuredly get what you paid for it, or even more. If you get a little less, consider it rent.

If you look at the first purchase as a temporary purchase, then you take the pressure off and you don't really need all this analysis. You could implement this plan for $3000 or less, and get a fine instrument that won't hold you back. A Miraphone 186, a Meinl-Weston 25, or a good-condition King 2341 would present different options in this approach, and all would serve the purpose admirably.

I followed this approach twice. My re-starter tuba was a $1500 Cerveny-made Sanders. I traded it for a Miraphone 186. My starter F tuba was a $1000 Musica, which, together with the Sanders, was trade fodder for the Miraphone. So, I got the Miraphone, the use of a tuba for six years, and a good education, for $2500. And what I learned from the Musica F tuba served me well when I bought the Yamaha F tuba.

Rick "who learned much more after the first purchase than before" Denney

Follow Ups: