Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Casey on July 17, 2001 at 00:07:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Should I use CC for Band? posted by dp on July 16, 2001 at 11:37:34:

As a highschooler, and a gifted student I heard one thing many times before I actually let it sink in. Public schools teach the masses, not thing individual. If I so chose could I get out of marching band? No. Do I think that marching hurts? Not if I balance it out with what I think I should be doing. I have a little saying, I'd rather someone not do something than half-a** something, I dont know if that really applies here but i think it does. If you are going to be in a high school band, do what it requires. If you really dont want ot march, join a college ensemble (more and more colleges allow guest students) or a community band. I commuter to college 3 to 4 days a week so that I can do what I believe is necessary for me to progress as a player. It takes me at least 45 mins. each way plus our hour and forty-five minute rehearsals. Is it a committment? Yes, very much so. But you have to choose the road you drive on, am I the norm? Probably not.
Oh, and Dale, I do respect your suggestion very much, and not taking marching band could be a good route for him, but this band director isn't being insecure or trying to hold anyone back. He is just pointing out the reality of the situation in the vast majority of high school band programs. Its not always a nice reality for the student who desperately wants to succeed, and it can be painful for the committed and professional educator who desperately wants all of his students (serious and otherwise) to succeed in all facets of the high school band experience.
As a closer which doesnt flow very well, (no thanks to you Honors English 10 and 11 and soon to be 12) When I think about it, marching shouldnt hurt the poor guy to much, he could have some great times, and with a little extra effort can be the great musician he wants to be.
Man I love HS. ; ). Casey

Follow Ups: