Re: Anybody here own the new Cerveny F?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 19, 2001 at 11:17:13:

In Reply to: Anybody here own the new Cerveny F? posted by Mary Ann on July 19, 2001 at 10:18:34:

I once owned a Cerveny-made (or at least it was identical to some Cervenys) Musica F tuba. It had four valves, which is a limitation right off the bat. It was much larger than the typical Graslitz F tuba, with a bore of about .710 as I recall, a 15" bell, and an overall height of about 37 inches. While the better German F tubas may have been much better at certain things, the Musica was a typical German-style rotary F tuba. It had a lovely sound on and above the staff, but below the staff it was really hard to make a decent sound. The horn worked best with a classic F tuba mouthpiece (I used a Parantucci Model 9--old designation). It might have been more versatile with a fifth valve, but the sound of the low register kept me from using the horn in quintet, which is where I really wanted to use it.

My experiences with other Cerveny F's that I've seen at shows have been no much different, but I have heard of some Cerveny F tubas that are much different than what I describe in the way they play. So take this as one distant data point.

In your price range, you should be able to consider most F tubas that are available, if you find a used one--possibly even a 46S like the one you are borrowing.

Rick "thinking the Cervenys I've played would be a real let-down after a MW46" Denney

Follow Ups: