Re: Re: Re: Re: Damping

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 19, 2001 at 17:35:24:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Damping posted by Dale on July 19, 2001 at 16:48:44:

Ah, but many of those certifications are money in the bank. Either the cert is required for the job, or pay increases automatically, or it is a factor at the next salary review. But in fields where it is possible (NOT doctors, teachers, certain kinds of engineers) if you really have the goods, the boss will find a way to waive the requirement, and the pay scale to keep you.

I've seen plenty of the well-heeled rookies in various fields, who can afford all the gadgets but have no experience; but I've seen plenty of really competent folks who always believe things could be done a bit better, and who will try the new gadgets.

As far as gadgets are concerned, I think that there are people who like to experiment with gadgets, and others that don't. Of those that like to experiment, some can afford to and some cannot. I don't really think there's even any correlation between the gadgetry level of the individual and their competence, but I do think that incompetence is UNDERSCORED when the individual has more than sufficient equipment and training, so he is without excuse. But if SOMEONE hadn't been willing to experiment with gadgets, I wouldn't be at a computer (let alone on the internet), my car (if I had one) would not have power brakes, air conditioning, windshield wipers, etc. Heck, not that long ago, *A*N*Y* tuba was a new-fangled gadget!! So I'm glad there are gadgeteers out there who will spend their money and time figuring out which ideas work and which ones don't, and getting the bugs out of the design.

Joe "No tuba gadgets, no tuba chops, no certifications, plenty of programming chops" Baker

Follow Ups: