Re: Re: Eb recommendations

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 24, 2001 at 13:43:15:

In Reply to: Re: Eb recommendations posted by DaveC on July 24, 2001 at 12:53:04:

I would have to side with this poster about the Willson and I am surprised that you had one that didn't make you happy. They are distributed by DEG and Dave Fedderly has always been a good source of those instruments. He is also a real dream to work with; you have control of the sale and your satisfaction.

I find the Willson does virtually everything I want a tuba to do so I play it almost exclusively, Orchestra, Brass Band, Quintet, you name it. Willsons do not have carry rings on them so for marching or Dixieland gigs you either improvise or use another horn.
Be sure to try the Willson with the 2 whole step fifth valve option as that makes the lower tones really speak and the intonation quite solid. You will find Willsons play with two different sets of characteristics. With a deep, open bore mouthpiece, they are quite like a 4/4 CC. With a shallower mouthpiece, they have a clear and light tone, like the solo horn we all dream to have. I have not found one mouthpiece that does both well so I use two mouthpieces, depending on which sound I want.

Follow Ups: