Re: falcone judging

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on July 26, 2001 at 06:22:36:

In Reply to: falcone judging posted by curious on July 25, 2001 at 16:21:39:

You have to have a balance. You can't go into an audition or competition and miss a bunch of notes without distracting the listener, especially if they know the tune. If someone is singing the national anthem at a ballgame and has a beautiful voice, phrases amazingly, but messes up the words you won't enjoy it. Same goes for any other performance. If the audience knows the tune, you can't very easily expect them to enjoy it if it is wrong.

At just about every audition or competition, there will be several people who can play the charts flawlessly and sound great in the process. The ones who sound great in the process, but sound careless with their percision will not fair as well. At least when it comes to auditions, they really do need someone who is flawless. Trust me, when you are performing a staple piece of music with a group that has played it 1,000,000 times, everyone's ears take notice when you miss a note, let alone 2 or 3 or more.

One of the guys in the band here won the Falcone Artist Tuba comp a couple of years ago, and I can tell you that he is a hell of a player. I am pretty sure that he threw in a little musicality now and again to help himself out.

Listen from a committee's perspective sometime for an audition or competition. The winner or real contenders are usually blantantly obvious. There really is no mystery from the other side of the curtain. The guy who goes out there and sounds the best almost always wins.

sean

Follow Ups: