Re: Re: Re: Re: Wurlitzer E-flat tuba -- comments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Urbie Watrous on July 26, 2001 at 09:19:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Wurlitzer E-flat tuba -- comments? posted by Dave Siegfried on July 26, 2001 at 09:04:49:

Hi, Dave --

Actually, the horn is very clean as it is. The store has a repair person, and she had done some work on it -- took out a few dents, and so forth. The valves do show a bit of wear, but they don't seem to be leaking noticeably. That was one thing I was trying to determine in testing at the store before I bought it. I have an ancient Conn double-bell euphonium that has severe corrosion on the valves, and they leak so badly that playing pianissimo is almost impossible, unless I've slathered spindle oil all over them. So I was on the lookout for similar problems with this horn, but didn't find any. That said, I suspect that the valves are less than 100% tight -- but since it doesn't seem to affect playability, I won't worry about it for now.

The horn has upright valves (and 14.25" bell -- on right side), silver plated. Still can't find the serial number, though! If I can get a picture of the thing, I'll post it.

Urb

Follow Ups: