Re: Re: german F sound concept

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 26, 2001 at 22:31:09:

In Reply to: Re: german F sound concept posted by Joseph on July 26, 2001 at 18:55:36:

"The Ride on my PT-15 may not sound like a Yorkbrunner but I wouldn't be bothered to hear it played on one in an orchestra."

You know, I understand the point you are trying to make and I don't disagree with that point really. Within reason, what you're saying makes some sense. But I feel the need to inject a little reality in this discussion when talking about doing the Ride on an F tuba. Let me tell you a little story.

Years ago I went to a well known summer music camp and there were these two players that were competing for the top orchestral tuba chair. Both were really fine players, and I do mean that in the most positive sense. Both players, even though they were high school age, displayed obvious characteristics of professional level playing and their overall level of competence was extremely similar. When comparing their individual playing styles to each other, they were polar opposites. These guys played COMPLETELY differently. In fact, one of them was a CC tuba player and used a Miraphone 190 for everything. The other was totally an F tuba player and he used a B&S F tuba for everything. Both of them really mastered their instruments and made what I would call characteristic and excellent sounds on their respective tubas. In the first week of auditions, the excerpt chosen was the Ride. I listened as the two players auditioned and it wasn't even close. The CC tuba player won, hands down. That player went on to hold the top chair for the whole summer, never once losing his spot. Ironically, if I told you both their names, you would immediately recognize the F tuba player's name and you may or may not have heard of the CC tuba player. They both went on to professional orchestral positions, the F tuba guy's job being much more "high profile".

What I learned from that experience is that there is no substitute for the right equipment. I'm not saying that everybody should be equipment geeks, attempting to solve all their problems with different pieces of metal. But I am saying that there is a very good reason why players have a number of horns that they choose from in performing on the job. It helps them to perform the best they can. Even a great player, if given the wrong equipment for the job, can sound less than ideal in the attempt. I have never once heard any orchestral tubist play the Ride in an orchestra on an F tuba.

By the way, even though the F tuba player from my story never won the top orchestral spot, he did win the coveted Concerto Competition. Perhaps there is a lesson in this after all.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: