Re: F-Tuba Mel Culbertson B&S-Apollo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff on July 31, 2001 at 01:35:18:

In Reply to: F-Tuba Mel Culbertson B&S-Apollo posted by e.o. on July 30, 2001 at 23:47:11:

Sounds like a CC and looks like a BBb while it's in the bag. I have one for sale at Baltimore Brass and the only reason that I am selling it is because I don't like taking my horn to places like Bosnia and Kosovo when the Army sees fit to have us play there. Seriously, the horn is great and I have used it for quintet, concert band, brass band, and for solo work. I just used it for the Penderecki in February and all of the notes spoke well. Like any F, there are limitations and you have to blow 'through' the stuffy notes (basically the octave above the pedels has the hardest time, but only BBb to DD (sorry if my designation is off, I mean the Bb to the D right below the staff) need attention). The bottom range on this model is easy to focus and cuts through like a knife when needed. I found it to have a large, open sound with the best tone quality I've ever had on any horn. You will not sound like an F when you're on this horn. Only the range may give you away. That is not what everyone is looking for with an F tuba. You won't find the thinner, hard to find a partial, tin-can syndrome tied to many other f tubas, and the rotor action is the best on any horn I've used. All six valves blow the same way, the bore is graduated thoughout the length of the horn, the main tuning slide is double sleeved (inside and outside) to maintain smooth air flow. My only complaint was that the horn had a couple of small brown spots under the lacquer on the bell. I was using an HP2-P at the same time, and they complemented each other very well. If I answered your question, great. If not, email me and I'll try to shoot you more info. And yes, I am trying to sell it back in the states, call Dave (AT) B-Brass with questions. I shipped the horn to the states in December for "Army School", and was grateful that it made it without a new mark on it. I just can't stomach throwing it under a plane everytime the Army says 'boo'. Good luck on your horn quest!

Follow Ups: