Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumb question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 31, 2001 at 17:54:35:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dumb question posted by Steve C on July 31, 2001 at 17:24:56:

You are right. There are compensating double horns. I only remember to have seen them in Bb-low F. I think it would be hard to make small enough compensating loops for a compensating High F-Bb horn.

Despite the rotary valves and the smaller bore the whole set-up is quite similar to a modern compensating euph.

The small bore to length ratio (combined with the many valve passages and the sharp turns) gives compensating French horns a very resistant playing feel.

The arguments in favour of comp double horns have been someones about weight. 1st and 3rd orchestral horn usually can play their parts on Bb single horns with 3 normal valves plus a stop valve (long half step).

But there are exeptions. When the 3rd horn plays the second occurence of the famous horn call in Till Eulenspiegel it is transposed down a minor third, so that it is ending on a low D concert, which can not be played on the 4 valve setup mentioned in the previous paragraph.

The solution in some cases is a comp horn. In other cases a 5 valve single Bb with a valve covering the interval of a fourth added to the just mentioned 4 valve set-up. The stop and fourth valves are both operated with the left thumb, as the pinkie is "hooked".

I have such a 5 valve single Bb from Hans Hoyer. A very good instrument, when it comes to sound and intonation. Only restricted in its dynamic bandwith by its not too overwhelming bore. (So I have used my Conn 28D in larger orchestras and bands, mostly playing the lowest part. Playing up to the 9th partial G concert on the F side).

Klaus

Follow Ups: