Re: Re: Re: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 02, 2002 at 16:39:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best posted by doug on July 02, 2002 at 16:08:53:

The Yamaha 321 is like a large, old Besson student horn. Not really that bad, but hard to hold and with a sound that is... special. It's not in the same league as any of the horns you have been considering. The Miraphone will make a bigger sound with a rounder, smoother tone, and the front-action valves will be a dream compared to propping up the top-action 321.

Raul Rodriguez has a good reputation and you should consider his advice. Also, TubaRay, who posts here from time to time but may not be listening today, is in the same area and will give you good advice if you ask him. I don't live in Texas any more so I won't be at TBA, but both of those fellows should be. I don't know if Miraphone will have a 188 at TBA, but I'd bet they have a 186. The 188 seems to me to play similarly, but you get a bigger, rounder sound from the 188.

But don't expect the new tuba to solve problems with your playing. A new tuba will make things more fun, but it won't work miracles. Any problems you bring to the Yamaha will still be there, and the better horn might even more effectively expose those faults until you address them. But you can go much further with the horns you are considering. I say this just so you won't expect too much, not at all to discourage you.

Rick "who thinks he sees a case of analysis paralysis" Denney

Follow Ups: