Re: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dave h on July 03, 2002 at 01:38:40:

In Reply to: Pt-4, Mirafone 188, Conn 56j, which best posted by Doug on July 02, 2002 at 13:18:30:

Hi Doug,
I've been folowing your posts about the new horn that you wish to buy.
I play a 186 Mirafone CC and love playing it all the time since I purchased
it almost 25 years ago.The CC vs BBb argument, why are you switching to
a CC tuba? Have you played any CC's? I was lucky in the fact that my HS had a CC tuba and I learned on that in my second year of HS. I didn't buy a tuba until my second year of College, and only then with the help of my TUBA teacher(s).The Yamaha 321 that you are playing is probably not in the best of conditions(I am a middle school Band/Orchestra teacher).Looking at YABE #891274889 BBb Mirafone 186, maybe you can contact the seller and try to play that horn(or even purchase)Many,many college auditions are won on BBb horns, and many college students start college on BBb horns.Several of the shops listed on the BBS have similar BBb horns for sale, and usually at a lower price than their CC equal.
Spending less money on a horn, and spending more on better lessons is something that I am constantly telling my better students at my school.IMHO
Good luck with your choice,
dave hayami
(the 188 has the same valve section as the 186, but a bigger bell and final bow/branch
a bigger sound, but I still like my 186 at the LA tuba party, I really liked playing the Cerveny "piggy")

Follow Ups: