Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Eastep on July 03, 2002 at 17:43:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sensamaya' posted by Mike on July 03, 2002 at 01:00:08:

My original post suggested that the Kronos version was very good; it never occurred to me to suggest that it superceded the full-orchestra version. There's a lot missing in the chamber version--I especially miss the horn whoops and some of the trombone licks--but I still like it. I also like the 13 instrument of Appalachian Spring, even though it will never replace the full-orchestra version in my affections.
Now, in terms of retaining sole possession of a tune that was written for tuba, it is interesting, as my friend Dwight Sullinger points out above, that there is an earlier, complete version of Sensamaya' in which there is no tuba part at all. I have have always been curious about this version, which has finally been recorded, and it may be that the Kronos version is not so far removed from this "original." None of this changes the fact that the composer preferred the full-orchestra version, but it does suggest that having a string instrument play a part that we know in another version does not constitute an outrageous violation of composer's or tubists' rights. I will look forward to hearing the L.A. Phil version, as well as the Dorian recording of the original version.

Follow Ups: