Re: gadget, gadgets, & more gadgets (a vent)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 'nutha perspektive on July 04, 2002 at 05:34:55:

In Reply to: gadget, gadgets, & more gadgets (a vent) posted by js on July 03, 2002 at 17:24:48:

Ain't really pickin' and defnitly not condemin, but maybe a bit more wide angle on this, eh, Joe?

For the most part I agree with the idea that practice time seems to be damned good advice. It is also easy to get hoping that the instrument can be made into something magic which will play itself...... after all, a good musician can get music out of any ole garbage can.....if he puts a radio in it.

You are in a fairly rare position where you have some reputation as a player, a dealer and an instrument tech - Hey a good "music" career!!!!!!!!!

I realise you are offering advice along the line of "work, don't expect me to solder on a bit that will make you the next Jake, Harvey, Roger, Bob, Joe, etc........

From experience I know players will come along and seek a tech's skills to do that little tweek, and often you know they are dreaming. Well, maybe once in a while you will find one who is asking the question "what can an instrument doctor do to make an instrument better? Ren Schilke and Karl Geyer gave me some of their time and tweeked instruments for me ( and many others) and I learned some good things from them. So now I can sit here in the middle of nowhere going broke fixing POSs of 13 year old woodwinds which have never before even been serviced with all that time being abused by beginners and wishing somebody would walk in and say, Hey man, can you make my tuba a bit better on this point?????

Yep, gotta pay the bills, but keep a bit of an open mind about these people coming along seeking the benefits of your expertise. You just might kindle the spark for tech work in the next Ren, Karl, Joe, Matt, Warren.........

It's all part of life.

Wish I had your shop and clientelle.

Have a good laugh and take a break, you'll be a cranky old man all too soon without lettin the little things get to ya.

Ken H

Follow Ups: