Re: What Should I Do?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James Rees on July 04, 2002 at 16:55:20:

In Reply to: What Should I Do? posted by Tony (James) Rivera on July 04, 2002 at 15:39:07:

1- Going to Juilliard? Practice, those guys are amazing. The kind of horn you've got won't matter so much as how you play it.
2- Most colleges won't give a second thought to what kind of horn you play on if you sound great. No one is going to think 'man, that kid was great, too bad i can't accept him because he plays on a st. pete.'
3- I did that exactly, except i switched when I was 17. I sold my st. pete, and saved up money to buy my horn about a year later. I don't really see any reason for you to hang on to your st. pete, unless you want to keep it to remind yourself of your humble beginnings.
4- I bought a st. pete 201 for about $3,000, and played it for two years. It did everything I could have asked from it. When I switched to C, I put the horn on e-bay, and it sold for $2,750. Did I get $250 (give or take) out of the horn? You better believe it.
5- That really depends on how much you want to spend. Remeber that all horns, even st. petes look good when they're new. Go to a state-wide music festival and play every CC tuba you can get your hands on. I played about 40 tubas before I bought mine, just so I could say that I had tried everything.

Hope this helps
James Rees

Follow Ups: