Re: What Should I Do?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by some ideas on July 05, 2002 at 01:56:11:

In Reply to: What Should I Do? posted by Tony (James) Rivera on July 04, 2002 at 15:39:07:

Juilliard is extremely hard to get into. A friend of mine who is a soprano major their had to audition against two hundred others to get one of two spots. If you're dead set on getting in, you might ask Bin Love for any advice - he's a student there and posts on this board occasionally. There are plenty of other great conservatories and universities out there: NEC, Oberlin, CIM, SF Conservatory, U North Texas, Northwestern, Indiana, U Southern Cal, to name a few. One of the places really on the rise in recent years is Cincinatti Conservatory of Music. Decent sized studio, great facilities, nice orchestras. Tim Northcut's a great teacher and performer too. 16 is definitely not too late to buy a CC, but ideally you should get one ASAP and then an F within a couple years after that.

One other thing: if you haven't already done so, get out there and explore. Get into your nearest youth symphony, go to the best teacher with the best qualifications (within a reasonable commute) then spend some money traveling to work with other teachers. Start practicing damn hard (for you, at least two hours a day). Take concerto and scholarship competitions. Get ahead. Meet people. Because when you finally get to that Juilliard audition, a lot of guys will have already done all that and then some.

Follow Ups: