Re: Conn Eb (Giant Wonder)?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on July 05, 2002 at 13:27:46:

In Reply to: Conn Eb (Giant Wonder)? posted by Z on July 05, 2002 at 02:21:40:

I've got two old Eb King Monster Symphony Basses with 22" bells that were built in 1934/35. They're great horns for oompah music, Dixieland, or anytime you really want to be heard... especially outdoors! In other words... these horns can be used for any sousaphone application except marching. I've played mine standing up but there is a visibility problem with the bell right in front of your face. I would not recommend a recording bell horn for orchestral or serious ensemble work.
I took a look at the Dillon ad and did not see where they are listing this as a 6/4 horn. Conn made HUGE recording bell tubas with offset valves but I don't think I've ever seen a front valve Eb with four valves. It looks like a great horn. If I didn't already have a pretty good stable of axes, I would consider buying it.
Give Dillons a shout. They will probably be happy to provide you with a serial number so you can put a date on the horn. I'm gonna guess 30's or 40's just because that is the era when studio recording was not so good and in order to be heard, you had to have a bell that focused the sound forward.

Follow Ups: