July 1st Gigs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike R on July 06, 2002 at 15:53:07:

The thread on July 4th gigs got me thinking about relating the story of our July 1st this year.

It stated at 10:00 am with a parade for a couple of kilometers - temperature was 35 celsius, humidex rating was 43 celsius, and a smog warning was in effect. A number of us almost didn't make it to the end (being a community band - fat old men and all, what do they think we are, the Black Watch?) and the snare drummer claims to have lost between 6 and 8 pounds.

Then, some of the band played in a jazz combo in the afternoon - still hot, humid, and smoggy.

Followed by our fireworks concert in the evening. Still hot and such. Having been properly "warmed up" by this time (String Bass player said he went through 4 shirts and 3 showers - never been so clean in his life), needless to say our playing wasn't up to its usual high standard.

Did we have fun? - The conductor said something to the Lead Trombone player at one point to the effect of " I thought the audience was supposed to be heckling you, not the other way around."

Did the audience have fun? - well, after we played the National Anthem to finish the evening concert, we got a huge cheer and applause. Of course I'm still trying to figure out if that meant "Hooray for the Band", "Hooray for the Country", or "Hooray they're done - bring on the fireworks".

In the end I guess it doesn't matter - I can't do it justice in this brief note, but this Community Band stuff is great fun and I'm glad I got back into it.

Then again as we were sitting in the pub after the last concert enjoying a cool Keith's, I was reminded of a quote from a member of a Stanley Cup winning hockey team in the 1970's,

"I don't play for the game or the win, I play for the party afterwards."

Honk on Dudes,

Mike

Follow Ups: