Re: Re: Re: Rotary Repair Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken H on July 10, 2002 at 00:27:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Rotary Repair Question posted by Matt Walters on July 09, 2002 at 17:52:32:

Coming from you, Matt, I feel VERY complimented!!

I too, long ago, used the screwdriver as a lever trick - it was the first way I learned, but it runs a risk of bending the rotor shaft and/or marking the stop arm or bearing tube. I found a good set of pin punches from ye old auto supply (cheap even) to be the go. The "secret" of course being to ensure that it fits freely inside the hole for the shaft bit does not sit into the thread hole for the screw.

A little mod I used to do a fair bit with rotory (rotary for those who prefer) is to drill an oiling hole through the bearing plate so that the valve can be very easily oiled. It is amazing what the presence of oile between valve and casing can do to help make an air tight seal and really inprove response (assuming the valves and casings are finished smooth and have a good close tolerance so that the oil can provide the seal.

Another is to drill another oil hole through the stop arm side (generally in the casing itself) to allow the bottom bearing to receive oil directly. I generally have found a slightly heavier oil to be useful. A screw into this hole stops leakage. The valve cover generally takes care of the plate side, especially if the hole is on the upper side.

I feel this his highly preferable to pouring oil down slides or the leadpipe as it prevents carrying dirt into the valve.

By maintaining a regular oiling schedule by this method it is rare to need to dismantle valves other than for the regular flush out of the entire instrument.

I imagine you know all these, Matt, but thought it might help some who don't have repair experience. I DO NOT recommend that people go wild with their ol man's power drill to do this job - take it to someboy who is properly equiped and knows what they are doing.

Follow Ups: