Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: York tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on July 10, 2002 at 21:38:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: York tubas posted by dp on July 10, 2002 at 16:38:40:

I've seen "junky little" tubas (probably made by B&M) with the "York Master" name on them, and I've seen some well-made nice-sounding full-size (undoubtably made by B&M)
tubas with "York Master" on them.

When I was an eighth grader and played in our local community band with some high-school-aged friends and some "old farts", there was a new (This was circa 1970) B&M (engraved B&M, not York Master) 3V recording tuba that I am nearly certain was the same exact instrument as the B&M York Master recording tubas that many of us have seen.

I never could make the thing play well. Part of it may have been the "recording" thing - which I've never grown accustomed to (not being able to hear myself very well). Part of it (certainly) was that I was very inexperienced...and part of it was that this gross 60-year-old smoking slob played it quite often, and I'm sure that the mouthpipe was full of (what I [up until now] call - when not in front of customers) "the abominable old-guy thick green slime"...a true phenomenom. I think when I start filling my OWN horns with this stuff, I'll know that it's time to quit playing.

Joe "who occasionally tries his hand at 'stream-of-consciousness' posts and always fails" S.

Follow Ups: