Re: pricing perspectives

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken H on July 14, 2002 at 00:18:52:

In Reply to: pricing perspectives posted by The Thimker on July 13, 2002 at 17:56:21:

Imagine spending say, $200,000 building a modest size workshop and fitting it out with a couple lathes, (including one big enough to spin a tuba bell on) a drill press or two, a small milling machine, a polishing room, valve honing and sizing machines, a degreasing unit, a lot of hand tools, a stock of brass and other materials and just the materials for making mandrels and jigs (assuming you could make them yourself then designing an instrument and going into business making say 1 every two weeks. After you had the instruments ready to sell you have to develop a market and if you happen to make the worlds greatest available tuba, what would you want for it?

Now I haven't allowed for plating or lacquering and I really VERY much doubt you would have a shop where you could produce instruments after spending only $200,000. I also very much doubt that 1 person could produce a tuba on their own every two weeks.

Oh yes, if you are going to have time to MAKE the things, you probably need to sell through a dealer or nosey people who want to try but never buy will leave you no time to work. He will want to make something for having his money and time tied up. THen remember all the taxes to be paid, paperwork to be done, insurance to pay, etc., etc.,etc.

Break a leg or get sick and there is nobody to do your work? Simple you go bust! Okay, hire workers, uhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm need a bigger plant, pay wages, more insurance, more paper work .

I'm beginning to think it is a miracle anybody but people in third world countries with massive government subsidies because the gov'ts want hard currencies and very cheap, unskilled labor is available makes tubas at all. Go the Boa!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow Ups: