Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MW 2141 Eb vs. Willson 3400 Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim on July 14, 2002 at 12:34:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: MW 2141 Eb vs. Willson 3400 Eb posted by BP on July 13, 2002 at 23:03:39:

I have not tried a lot of different mouthpieces but I have tried a few and also noticed the different sound that happen. I am using a Doug Elliott P cut right now but I alternate between that and a PT-83 which is very much alike the P cup in depth and rim style but it give the horn a totally different sound. I used to have a PT-50 that I sold with my CC tuba and I tried it on the Willson and I was surprised that it was not too big for the horn. THe mouthpiece was not ideal for upper register playing but for everything else it worked great. I think with that mouthpiece and horn combination I can play lower notes with that set up that any other I have ever tried on any horn in any key.

I will say that I have to work a lot more to get into the extreme upper register on my Willson than I think I would if I played the Besson 983 or the B&S pt-22. I have tried both of these tubas and I found it easier to get high notes than on the Willson. I just thought the Willson was better in every other area. I know it is not the horn for everybody but it is one of the best "do all" tubas out there. I was faced recently with parting with one of my instruments and I had to choose keeping my CC which I am much more familiar with having played a CC for much longer and switching to all Eb tuba and I chose the Eb and I don't regret it a bit. I think I may replace my CC someday when the money is more plentiful but if I do it will be at least a 5/4 and the Eb will still be my main horn.

Jim Raymo

Follow Ups: