Re: Re: Re: Are Yorks a good investment?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on July 15, 2002 at 21:18:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Are Yorks a good investment? posted by Rick Denney on July 15, 2002 at 18:02:26:

Nice thought-provoking moments on the tuba market, Rick. There are so many variables between the '20s and the present and just the tuba market itself, I don't know if there is a way to align any kind of parallels.

One thing that struck me was the fact that the original York CCs were custom made from a company that had a large amount of business. You would think the 2 Yorks were to cost significantly higher in that case, but they were made for the Philly tubist at the time and there could have been a bit of an endorsement factor involved. That being the case, Jacobs' $175 deal may have been a sweet one even for that day and age.

A modern day parallel may be the handful of copies of that very horn that Yamaha put together for a select few players that is supposed to be the closest to the original. I don't recall hearing of any of them having to pay for the horn, but for you and me, I'm sure it would be out of sight.

Follow Ups: