Re: PT-7P: specs & comments, etc.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rod Mathews on July 16, 2002 at 00:32:22:

In Reply to: PT-7P: specs & comments, etc. posted by Rich on July 15, 2002 at 22:57:46:

I play a PT-6P, which I absolutely love. I've also played on a few PT-7P instruments, and the only difference as far as I can tell is a larger bottom bow and bell. The top branch may also be a little bigger, but the bore, valves, etc. should all be the same. In reality, the PT-7P isn't that much bigger, and I don't think it projects as well as the PT-6P. I also think the sound on the PT-6P is more refined. Someone summed the PT-7P up as "a girl with bigger hips," which I think is a fair characterization.

Email me offline and I'll send you pictures of the two side-by-side.

As far as the VMI Mel Culbertson model compared to the PT-7P, they are very similar instruments. They have a lot of parts in common, but some differences that make the VMI less costly to produce. In my opinion the PT-7P is more refined, and more care is taken in the assembly. There are some minor design differences, but they are apparently significant enought to make the PT-7P a superior instrument. Folks that have played both tell me that the intonation on the PT-7P is better than on the VMI, but your mileage may vary.

Hope that helps,

Rod

Follow Ups: