Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Williams Tuba Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 17, 2002 at 13:18:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John Williams Tuba Concerto posted by hello, jackass on July 17, 2002 at 11:34:54:

You guys are taking this too seriously. Worlds will not collide on the opinion (or, more accurately, lack of opinion) of one person regarding Sam Pilafian's musicianship.

Here's my own list, from my musical but not trained wife who just likes what she likes without justifying it to anybody:

Pilafian, Fletcher, Corella: Listens to the end of the CD.

Sheridan, Cooley, Bobo: Is impressed but bored after two songs.

Catelinet: Grimaces.

Many of these reactions were motivated by programming choices (which is, of course, a musical decision).

My own list would be very much different, but I admire different things in a musician. Even so, her opinion is as valid as mine, because she is saying what she likes not what is good.

There is a difference between criticism and rendering an opinion. The first is based on the effect the performance will have on reader (of the review), and the second is based on the effect it had on the reviewer. We could use more criticism. I don't mind the opinions, as long as they are stated as such, and not passed off as critical review.

It seems to me the role of criticism is to expand the audience by leading them to the performance work that is most likely to convert new listeners to the genre.

Rick "who likes what he likes but doesn't call that criticism" Denney

Follow Ups: