Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Convincing a school to buy a CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on July 17, 2002 at 21:30:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Convincing a school to buy a CC posted by Thomas on July 17, 2002 at 19:36:58:

As has been discussed many times, two horns, made by the same manufacturer, at the same time, can be vastly different from each other in terms of intonation. To state that "we should get a CC so at least one horn plays in tune" is to generalize all BBbs as "out of tune", or all CC's as "in tune." I played a CC Kalison through college, and just bought the prototype BBb King 2341, and let me tell you I can make both of them play out of tune. My two cents are the following:
Cent 1: IF a school was going to purchase another tuba, not in BBb, wouldn't it make sense to get an Eb or F? At least there is a substantial difference in usage to defend yourself.
Cent 2: I played next to a guy in college with a BBb, me on CC, and we played the same stuff, at the same time. Dr. Kopetz probably could have cared less what we were playing on.

Cent 3(Bonus Cent): Going in to college I was told I HAD to have a CC. After college I now feel otherwise. I enjoyed playing my Kalison, but I don't think it was necessary for me to switch. If anything, I would have rather had more experience with an Eb than with my CC.

Shane

Follow Ups: