Re: quintet in cafe?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on July 19, 2002 at 08:19:21:

In Reply to: quintet in cafe? posted by Kyle Cabral on July 19, 2002 at 03:45:53:

Kyle,
I've done a number of restaurant and banquet gigs, and I'd suggest to consider the space and volume issues. A quintet takes up a bit of floor space, but if the establishment is large enough, go for it. Light, popular music, jazz-influenced pieces, show tunes, etc. are good starters. Being prepared with seasonal songs (Christmas, etc.), as well as having Happy Birthday, your State's Song, knowing a local school's fight song, will help make your group appear more professional. As Carroll suggested, this will be an opportunity to explore the softer dynamic range of the group. One of the best groups I've ever heard in a smallish cafe/coffee house was in Finland. These two guys in tuxes, one playing a euphonium and the other a tuba, were standing there with a music stand and a Real Book, playing jazz standards. They played really well, and it was quite entertaining. Their dynamics and overall volume level was superb - all this, great food & conversation, all in a small paper mill town in southern Finland! If they can do it, you can. I'm meeting with the manager of a great restaurant this afternoon to try and establish a new duo or trio gig. I'd play tuba and string bass, the guitarist also plays banjo, and we might add another instrument, depending upon how much they can afford. How much you can earn depends a upon your situation, ie., local economy, etc. In Atlanta, we're looking at getting $100/person for 3 50-minute sets on a weeknight, but $50/person in a lower cost-of-living area might actually be better pay. Best wishes in your endeavors!
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: