Re: Nothings easy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 19, 2002 at 13:40:46:

In Reply to: Nothings easy! posted by Aaron on July 19, 2002 at 13:09:17:

Of these, I'd prefer a good King. The operative word is "good"--I've played several and only one fit that description. The Meinl-Weston has a dark tone that some like but that in my hands sounds too woofy. I actually prefer the smaller Meinl-Weston Model 18. The King seems to have more character in the sound.

I used to own a Cerveny-made Sanders that was equivalent to the Cerveny 686. It was not a bad instrument but it attracted dents with a vengeance and required new valve linkages after a few months (which were easy to fabricate). I have no knowledge of the Asian-made Sanders tubas. I greatly prefer the Miraphone 186 that replaced the Sanders in my lineup. The S-186 is also in your price range. You might also consider the VMI 3301, which is in your range, though I'd prefer a good King.

I'd take the Jupiter over some of these choices, despite that it seems cheap. The Weril 3/4 instrument is too different from these to be comparable, it seems to me, and the 4/4 instrument is a top-action Yamaha 321 clone that I would consider just because of its configuration. I'd also consider the VMI 2103, though I think it has a light sound. You may prefer that sound, and it's a well-made tuba.

Rick "who thinks you'll have a hard time trying out a Sanders at Dillon's" Denney

Follow Ups: