Besson Eb tuba w/ 19" bell for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on July 20, 2002 at 13:28:11:

For sale: mid 70’s vintage 3 + 1 Besson Eb compensating tuba. This is made from the very heavy gauge brass that Boosey & Hawkes are known for using. The larger 19” bell was added on in the middle 80’s, as was a bigger leadpipe with a standard morris taper receiver. This is a B&H leadpipe, but it’s the one that comes straight around the bell – there’s no curving upwards on the bell. I never relacquered the horn, so some red is showing throughout the bell section. The springs under the first three valves are heavier than the normal Besson springs. Also, the valve guides are still the old, noisy metal ones. These issues can be easily addressed. To compensate for the low pitch, a “Phil Parker cut” (showed to me by John Fletcher) was made off of two of the branches on the backside of the horn. Absolutely no tapered tubing was cut – only straight tubing. Also, the main tuning slide has never been cut either. Best Music installed a right thumb ring throw (near the 4th valve) for the main tuning, which works well only in slower music. I wouldn’t try to use it on real fast runs. To keep the main slide from falling out (it faces downward), Best also installed a stop on the slide. The metal ball has been cut off of the bottom of the horn (used for hooking into marching straps). This horn is very mouthpiece friendly – nearly anything works.

This is a good horn for church gigs, and for quintet gigs that don’t have require outrageous amounts of technical stuff (super high, super fast, etc.). It’s a bit small for most band and orchestra gigs, but does work well in Berlioz and Mendelssohn. I wouldn’t dare “Bydlo” on it, unless you have great high chops. While the extreme highs and lows are not super easy on this horn, it does possess a gorgeous, thick tone quality. I suggest using a using a playing stand with this horn and therefore, I’m throwing in two playing stands - a normal DEG stand, and the tall, telescoping B&M stand (a beauty!). Comes with a burgundy Reunion Blues cordura gig bag, that has a big pocket area for music and m.p.’s No hard case, I’m afraid. I’ll even throw in a tall, wooden stool, if you’d like There are a few minor dents, but nothing serious at all. I’m asking $1,500 firm plus shipping. We do have Amtrak here in Reno. I’m hoping to get digital pictures made this coming week sometime. If interested, contact me at tasha5(AT)earthlink.net. You can also reach me during the week at Tower Records in Reno, NV. That phone is 775 -852-5559.

Barry Guerrero; Reno, NV

Oh yes, the reason I’m selling: I’m upgrading (I hope)

Follow Ups: