Re: ORCHESTRA TUBA?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Elliott on July 23, 2002 at 21:40:35:

In Reply to: ORCHESTRA TUBA? posted by Eric on July 23, 2002 at 16:53:34:

I have a PT-20P and it's in my opinion one of the best all around horns you can buy. The only horns that may be better are the Hirsbrunners. However, the 20 is very similar and about half the price. I picked mine up for 10,000. It hits hard on the wallet, but you can't go wrong. If you work hard to get a good orchestra sound it will fit in there and sound like a monster if you want it to, but the B&S tubas also have a great soft end and therefore fit in great in chamber groups. The 56j i've not had extensive experience with, but i have sat down with one on many occasions and its also a great horn. It can be a little light weight for orchestra at times, so you really have to practice on projection a little more, but its got great response like the Perantucci and it can really scream in the high register if ya push! Either way, there both great choices and dont think the 20 is a better horn JUST because the price tag. There two dif horns, two top notch horns and be sure that whatever u do u get the time to sit down with each and really get a feel!

Follow Ups: