Re: Why cut a BBb to a CC?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by My rationale-Sam on July 29, 2002 at 10:47:18:

In Reply to: Why cut a BBb to a CC? posted by AW on July 28, 2002 at 21:19:32:

Recently I've done a lot of soul-searching as to why I've chosen to involve myself in the process of producing CC tubas. I build 3 or 4 of them each year. I have settled on using King 2341 bodies and bells from the Monster model Eb tubas of York, Holton and King. I have also done three 6/4 Holtons, a Conn2xj series, a Martin, a York Master and a 1916 Conn.
Most of the instruments I use have been relegated to gathering dust on the back shelves of school band storage rooms. They have been abused by students and neglected by faculty.

The big Ebs typically have a great sound, but leave a lot to be desired in the areas of intonation and low register response. I have learned that much of the character and soul of the sound of an instrument comes from the unique qualities of its bell. Just as a wine grower grafts flavorful vine stock onto hardy native root stock, I graft these wonderful sounding bells onto the proven commodity of the 2341 body and valve section. I feel justified in giving a new, extended life to the sound of these bells when many of them would have only found their way into the smelter if left unaltered.

Read "The Violin Hunter" by W.A.Silverman.
Contact me to be placed on my waiting list for a tuba. I am pleased to work with parts horns that you supply.

Follow Ups: