Re: Re: Fafner impressions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 30, 2002 at 12:14:45:

In Reply to: Re: Fafner impressions posted by BP on July 29, 2002 at 23:32:26:

What makes your opinions more valid than Joe's? I don't see how you could read his post as anything other than a simple statement of opinion. Both his playing and his understanding of how tubas work make me want to read his opinions, even if I subsequently choose to disagree with them.

What makes you say that Joe pushes Willsons so much? I've heard him say both good and bad things about them. He talks about them because he has lots of experience with them, and I draw that conclusion based solely on what he actually says.

Whether a horn is inexpensive or not has nothing to do with it being "professional," and it being labelled "professional" is not as directly related to its "quality" as many assume. But it's price has a lot to do with whether it fits into a particular budget, for those who want to purchase a new instrument. The difference in price is about $4000, and this does count for most buyers.

And what makes an amateur any less serious than a pro? In some ways, amateurs can be more serious, because they don't have to take the gigs that are offered them and the crap of those who control those gigs to fill the fridge.

Personally, I think you have a thing for Joe and you project that thing onto everything he says in addition to letting that thing compel you to respond as you have. He probably deserves it--he does the same thing with another popular target. But that doesn't make it any less irritating.

Rick "who is tired of ad-hominem attacks and wants specifics" Denney

Follow Ups: