Re: Re: Re: Re: My ears deceive me!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on July 30, 2002 at 23:20:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: My ears deceive me!! posted by Rick Denney on July 30, 2002 at 16:44:15:

There are a couple of reasons why it is easier to play in tune in a quintet than in a community band. First there is a smaller "mass" of sound produced by five that there is when produced by 50+ people in a community band. Secondly, four other people can only produce a maximum of four other variations of the pitch, whereas in a band there can be so many more variations(translate: different pitches).

A corrollary(sp?) to that is that it is easier to play in tune with a group of fine players than it is to play in tune with weaker players. When everyone else is playing in tune, it is quite easy to hear, and to play in tune. When everyone else is playing out of tune, how is it possible to play in tune with them? It is only possible to approximate the pitch.

By the way, I believe a tuner can be a very valuable tool in both developing one's ability to play in tune and in checking things out from time to time. A tuner is not, however, a substitute for the ear.

And another thing: my thanks to Rick for what I believe are statements which reflect careful consideration of the subject and usually show a very good understanding of what's going on.

This probably doesn't help any with the original post, but I hope will provide either some insight or some amusement for those read this.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: